Approaching investors for your business idea is fraught with perils and uncertainties, there’s always a possibility that you could say or do the wrong thing. Our guest in this episode will teach us how to navigate this path.
Richard C. Wilson is a 3rd generation Eagle Scout and founder of the Family Office Club the largest community of ultra-wealthy families globally with over 2,000 registered investors. The Family Office Club is an investor platform that, in combination with their investor advisory division Centimillionaire Advisors, LLC & PrivateEquity.com, provides investors with access to direct investments and virtual family office solutions.
In this episode we discuss:
- Richard’s first business venture [2:47]
- The value of establishing core values and strengths in starting a company [4:08]
- How companies are handling this black swan event [7:01]
- Types of investments that are viable during a crisis [9:12]
- What is a family office and what do they do [10:15]
- What investments are their clients interested in [12:50]
- Qualifications of investments for Richard’s clients [12:50]
- What investors look for before making an investment [15:00]
- Things not to do when approaching investors for your business [16:12]
- Investment predictions for the next 6 months [18:46]
- Importance of having a mentor [20:56]
- First steps in investing in a family office [25:21]
- Advice for startups [27:02]
- How to identify what investors are looking for and how to attract those investors [29:41]
- How to get in touch with Richard and the Family Office Club [33:20]
- When you become more wealthy the mistakes you make are much more costly and you’re much more likely to make mistakes.
- Clients won’t think you are a professional if you’re promising too much.
- Your values are the most important thing. Before you spend money on anything, before you work with anybody, know what your company values are.
- If you figure out the desire that the investors have that’s not being met by other people or the structure they would prefer as well as the gap and you only focus on your strengths, that trifecta allows you to cut through a lot.
- It’s about focusing, listening, and then prescribing things vs just pitching people before you get to know them.
Links to sources and tools
- Follow Richard, Centimillionaires and Family Office Club on social media for more great nuggets of information regarding investing and wealth management:
- Listen to their podcast, get access to free book and see membership options on their website familyoffices.com
- You can also send them an email at email@example.com for inquiries
- Listen to more episodes here
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook to get updates on new episodes. If you haven’t already, please follow and leave a review for our podcast, we’ll really appreciate it. And as always don’t forget to pass the secret sauce.
How are you liking the episodes so far? Do you have any suggestions on things we can do to improve? Let us know in the comments.
Support our podcast
If you’re a fan of the show, there are three simple things you can do to support our work: