Chris Do is the founder and CEO of the Futur, a content and education platform whose mission is to teach 1 billion people to make money doing what they love.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why he was entrepreneurial at an early age [1:40]
- How Chris got into his first business [2:56]
- How his family encouraged his creativity [4:04]
- How a visit to a practising typeset designer made Chris realize what he wanted to do with his life [5:45]
- Preparing to get into a private art school -Art Center [8:00]
- How his asian parents felt about him going to community college before art school [9:36]
- Starting his company – Blind – without any business knowledge [11:23]
- Competing with large design companies, working with large companies and receiving his first check of $48,000 for a project [12:48]
- Starting the Futur and building a company around digital education for designers [17:04]
- Journey of the Futur from idea to earning $3m per year [19:35]
- How Chris grew his Instagram following [22:10]
- Formula for graphic content that help grow your following [25:31]
- What platform benefits the Futur [27:32]
- Being touched by a client’s gesture [28:28]
- Teaching the business of design to creatives [30:18]
- Best ways to get in touch [31:35]
- If I wanted stuff, then I had to go out and earn it.
- I did want to become something creative, but I was telling myself ”This isn’t practical. Find something else.”
- For asian parents community college is purgatory. It’s where kids go to vocational school.
- We help creative people from all stripes, people in UX, graphics design, even in photography and illustration. They buy our courses and our ebooks because it solves a very specific problem for them.
- Start with something attention getting, usually with a benefit to the user.
- I have to date resisted/refrained from using my Instagram channel to promote things.I always feel a little scummy when I read things where it’s like an obvious play to sell me something. I might like it but I start to distrust the person. So I’m using that same lens (when marketing).
- I just want to give you a ton of value and if you’re really curious and if you feel really grateful, you’ll find a way back to me.
- The Futur: it’s like the future but we dropped the e. There’s no “e” because we droppedd the ego.
Links to sources and tools
- Subscribe to The Futur’s Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-b3c7kxa5vU-bnmaROgvog) where they have awesome resources for creative entrepreneurs.
- Follow Chris Do on all his social media channels:
- Check out the Futur here: https://thefutur.com/
- Watch this episode on YouTube
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook to get updates on new episodes. If you haven’t already, please follow and leave a review for our podcast, we’ll really appreciate it. And as always, don’t forget to pass the secret sauce.
Support our podcast
If you’re a fan of the show, there are three simple things you can do to support our work: