In this episode, we have J Scott and Carol Scott, a husband and wife team that invests in real estate across the country. J Scott (he goes by “J”) is an entrepreneur, investor, advisor and the co-host of The BiggerPockets Business Podcast. He has bought, built, rehabbed, sold, lent-on and held over $70M in property all around the country. J is the author of four books on real estate investing, with sales of over 250,000 copies.
In this episode we discuss:
- Carol recounts her experience of growing up with nothing and trying to make money at a young age [4:05]
- Carol talking about calligraphy [5:15]
- How Carol and J started in real estate and how they got their first property [8:08]
- Their process when renovating a property [12:08]
- Why they hired out the renovation work instead of doing it themselves [13:48]
- How they manage their real estate projects and the systems and tools they used [15:45]
- How they market and sell their properties [21:50]
- Advice for people wanting to start in the real estate flipping business [29:40]
- How they select new areas to invest in and what they do to before investing in the new are [32:44]
- Their future plans for their business [40:43]
- How to learn more about J and Carol Scott [42:13]
Links to sources and tools
- Follow Carol and J Scott on LinkedIn
J Scott – https://www.linkedin.com/in/jscottinvestor/
Carol Scott – https://www.linkedin.com/in/carol-j-scott-21641a38/
- Learn more About J by visiting his website: http://www.jscott.com
Interested in learning more about investing in real estate? Listen to these episodes:
- Scaling Your Real Estate Investment Business with Tim Bratz – https://bit.ly/38BLPM9
- How to Find the Best Cities to Invest in Real Estate with Neal Bawa – https://bit.ly/2Xyg6oQ
- Using Owner Financing to Grow Your Real Estate Portfolio with Gabriel Hamel – https://bit.ly/38AIqgF
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook to get updates on new episodes. If you haven’t already, please follow and leave a review for our podcast, we’ll really appreciate it. And as always, don’t forget to pass the secret sauce.
Support our podcast
If you’re a fan of the show, there are three simple things you can do to support our work:
- Rate and review the podcast on iTunes or wherever you subscribe.
- Tell a family member, friend, or colleague about the show.
- Subscribe so you never miss an episode.