David McCann is the CEO at AOP Capital. He has quite an eclectic entrepreneurial background. He’s run businesses in the US, New Zealand, Australia, and Hong Kong. We talked a lot about building culture and building collaboration between different cultures.
David has a great background in operations and building synergies between different cultures and different business units. What they are doing is building different businesses and using synergies and using assets to be able to support the other business.
If you are interested in having many different businesses that sort of all feed and interconnect with one another or if you are looking to build a multinational type company, this is an episode that you don’t want to miss.
In this episode we discuss:
- David’s childhood background [2:53]
- Getting involved in an IT business, buying a company in New Zealand [6:00]
- Keeping track or shifting your plans and goals [8:45]
- Doing acquisitions in Asia and ended up living in Hong Kong [13:00]
- Started a large processing plant for pharmaceutical grade [16:35]
- Finding the right people and money to start a business [21:00]
- Tactical advice on identifying good fit for leadership role [22:40]
- Building and managing different cultures in the company [27:50]
- Antastafae’s decision hierarchy, core values and process [30:10]
- Partnership structure, plans for their business [35:00]
Links to sources and tools:
Listen to other PTSS Episodes
- Four Day Workweek: Enhancing Productivity and Creativity with Joe Sanok
- SBA Financing For Start-Ups And Mid-Sized Business with Chris Hurn
- Identifying, Coaching and Raising Better Leaders with Ryan Barton
Thanks for listening. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook to get updates on new episodes. If you haven’t already, please follow and leave a review for our podcast, we’ll really appreciate it. And as always, don’t forget to pass the secret sauce.
Support our podcast
If you’re a fan of the show, there are three simple things you can do to support our work: